Unlike the last Good Housekeeping I posted, this issue from 1954 doesn't spark any memories for me, being a good 13 years before I was around, but the contents pretty much sum up everything I love about the 1950's. Enjoy!
I had one of these in the past few years and I loved it. Unfortunately, the automatic pop-up stopped popping up automatically.
My grandfather always made waffles in one of these when we kids spent the night. I'm not sure what the trick was, but his never stuck. I've had one of these in recent years and couldn't make a decent waffle in it.
I love Luise's glasses. I don't believe I've ever heard of a woman being referred to as a "Jr." Luise authored a few children's books, but there isn't much information about her on the internet.
Welp, Santa drank too much spiked eggnog again.
True story: I was visiting a neighbor when I was about 8 years old and she told me she was making chocolate pudding. Now, I loved chocolate pudding, especially that skin that forms on the top after it cools. She was still cooking it on the stove, so I'm thinking, there's no way I'm seeing any of this pudding. In a few minutes, she turned the stove off and proceeded to eat the pudding hot. I wasn't one to turn down pudding, hot or cold, but I was thinking, "Am I in the Twilight Zone?!"
Before you tell anything about the 1955 Chevrolet to your husband, you might want to mention your ability to shoot jets out of your nose.
I wonder how long the idea of giving appliances as gifts lasted before some wife said, "Wait a minute..."
My grandfather always used "Cremora" or "Coffee-Mate". He just called it "whitener".
The two women in the background look aghast as the hobo looks in the department store window. The "Volunteers of Costa Rica" bell ringer just stares in confusion wondering why the clapper has stopped working. The postman says, "I see nothing."
"Little LuLu" was created by Marjorie Henderson Buell (Marge) as a panel-gag for The Saturday Evening Post in 1935. She appeared in animated shorts and even had a couple live action television specials as part of the 1970's Saturday morning show "The ABC Weekend Special".
That's the way to ingrain it, Mom. Keep ironing, Sally. Just keep ironing.
Hebrew National. Frankfurters, Salami, Bologna, Corned Beef, Pastrami, and don't forget the Tongue!
Dad can't believe he got away with it. She actually liked it!
Listen, young lady, we have all the hot water we want now, so get in there and get your bath or I'll drag you by your ear!
We had a Swing-A-Way can opener mounted on a door jamb when I was a kid. It was the source of endless fasciantion. Okay, I was easily amused.
Is it pronounced "Health Oh Meter" or "Health Ah Met Her"? Either way, this child is horrified at the pounds she packed on this Christmas season.
Appian Way was the first pizza my parents ever ate. It was sold in grocery stores similar to the Chef Boyardee pizza kits. They came with a free pizza pan. My mom still has some.
I can still feel the quilted cover of these pink monstrosities.
Eat your Cream of Rice or you can't have your Dubble Bubble.
I found a light up Santa this year similar to the one advertised above. He's in poor shape, but I still like him.
Another appliance gift. I have to admit, I bought a KitchenAid mixer for my wife one Christmas. Hey, she asked for it. Really.
Merry Christmas, from Gravy Master.
"...and my hands have been laughing at me!"
Who needs that much scarf?!
"Holiday-Right" and apparently, Reindeer-lickin' Good!
These plastic shoe covers don't look too safe. Another true story: when I was a kid, my parents wouldn't buy boots for me because they said I would grow out of them too quick, so I wore bread bags over my regular shoes when it snowed. I have no idea how I turned out as normal as I did.
"Evening in Paris" was the go-to perfume for young children when buying a Christmas present for their mom's. It was discontinued in the 1960's.
If you're selling a product intended to be eaten, I would think "It's Digestible" would be a given.
































































































0 Comments